Arches National Park

Let me confess a part of our journey that I don't discuss as it deeply distresses some... Walmart. When we are making big treks cross country we break it up with a stay at, yes, Walmart. So this is actually acceptable, and we are remarkably never the only RV in the lot. We have never seen less than five RVs in a lot at night. We have an app that tells us which Walmarts allow overnight parking, usually Super Walmarts, we pull in, stock up on groceries for our next leg of the trip, sleep, and pull out by 7 am. I never thought I would approve of such a thing nor did I expect to come to love these Walmart stays. Without surprise, Walmart can tell you a lot about a town, like for example when the Walmart has organics. Not all Walmarts even have trail mix, some stock only Doritos and Cheetos, an interesting lesson in supply and demand. The Park City, Utah Walmart was literally at the base of the Olympic Ski Jumps and had well, quite the organic selection. 

We drove into Salt Lake City, UT to see the Tabernacle and stroll around. I was hoping to catch the choir practicing, but they didn't start until 7:30 PM which was too late for this tired crew. I think it would be amazing to hear in person! By 7:00 AM as usual we hit the road to finish our trip to Moab, UT. As we drove it got hotter, civilization all but disappeared, and we were soon in the desert. We couldn't get a spot in Arches National Park, so we booked at an RV Park. We have wifi, laundry, a pool, and wait for it... CABLE! We have not watched TV since we left! We are loving feeling connected to the world for a bit, updating the blog, and watching the Olympics! 

Day one, we explored Arches National Park and did some awesome 1 - 2 mile hikes. These girls were troopers. It was HOT! I don't think I could ever accurately explain this landscape. It is so unique and eerie. The parks are not as crowded as those we've been visiting and given the more backcountry camping, hiking, and off roading done here the sheer magnitude of the geological features almost drowns out any human existence. Here you are overwhelmed by the visible power of natural forces both past, present, and future. You explore features, especially the arches, that may or may not be here when our children return. 



Balancing Rock...seriously may fall any minute!

A major climb! So proud!

Some adults couldn't get up here for this shot!
Day two we returned to Arches to continue hiking. We did a serious 5 mile hike with the girls through Devil's Garden. The arches, alcoves, and our secret lunch spot to which we climbed were amazing! The girls earned their Jr. Ranger badges as we left the park to cap off a great day!
Delicate Arch
Our secret lunch spot!
Inside our secret lunch spot!
Navajo Arch

So proud of the girls! It was a long, hard hike!
Day three was our official first day of school. I wanted the girls to have some of the fan fare of the first day of school. I don't even know if they were missing it, but the teacher in me sure is! I have held off on the books, new binders, notebooks, and supply boxes until today. Last night I decorated, hauled out all the new supplies, and we officially started. I must say I am surprised by how much we have already covered with novel studies, journaling, reading, and Jr. Ranger programs. They have learned and experienced so much already I am overwhelmed. We had a great morning, and it was so cute how excited they were to explore their new texts and personalize their new supplies and binders. M even made herself a special first day of school headband. Seriously love this child.
Lovin' this headband.
Roadschooling.
 

Later, we explored Canyonland National Park. I had honestly never heard of this park. I'd only heard of the Arches. Personally, I loved this even more than Arches. I think it was that we had no idea beauty of this magnitude was waiting just around the corner. Canyonland is a name quite fitting; it made us excited for what awaits at the Grand Canyon. The girls earned their Jr. Ranger badges by identifying the landforms around them: buttes, mesas, arches, spires, and canyons. They had to learn about microbial crust that covers the sand here, find and identify animal tracks, write a cinquain poem while sitting under an arch, and hike over 2 miles to an ancestral Puebloan granary. I mean... can I get an amen for the National Park Jr. Ranger programs. Day 1 of school and a Jr. Ranger badge... check!

Don't worry... I do have other plans! We hit the road in the morning for Colorado and roadschooling officially takes on new meaning.



Comments

  1. Outstanding! So proud of all of you! Utah, one of the finest and i have not seen as much of it as you, nor have i ever attended a rodeo, but it is on my list too. You are in the most fruitful school girls, and you are wrapped in light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Utah has left us in awe more than once, and yes, these girls have been troopers!! They were thrilled to hear from you! Prior to hearing from you someone had already written to you! 😀 I have not had a chance to post it yet, but we've been thinking of you! Surprise OTW!

      Delete

Post a Comment