Grateful in California


After Christmas we headed toward Anza-Borrego State Park for hiking and exploring, but Carlsbad State Park's beachside camping was too appealing. We had the most relaxing time doing school, hiking, and playing on the beach. We ventured into Carlsbad Village and splurged on dinner out and ice cream for New Years Eve. I even had the opportunity to reconnect with a friend from high school. 
Our only requirement for dinner was the Clemson game!

While in Carlsbad, we had the opportunity to experience overwhelming generosity and love from our friends and neighbors back home. Whether they noticed how quickly this trip is aging us in pictures or they really do love us, our friends and neighbors sent us a stay in a hotel and tickets to the San Diego Safari Park. We were dumbfounded, then overwhelmed, then extremely grateful, then super pumped to ditch this rv... in that order. Why they all banded together to do this thing for us, I don't know, but we will be forever grateful. I am embarrassed to say we got in the hotel room and did not leave. The girls brought all belongings possible and set up shop, I brought books and cancelled school, and Shawn, well I don't know what he does on his phone but it involves politics and stocks... yawn. We binged watched HGTV and Food Network, ordered pizza, and used the vending machine. We settled in, all did our own thing, and respected the gift. No words, friends. I will admit to a brief bit of panic... this is what I do best. How will I ever be this good of a friend or show you as much kindness and love as this selfless gesture of yours? I love you. 
This is Shawn's odd way of saying I am grateful to you friends.
He thinks this is funny. Please do not encourage this behavior.
Management said it might not fit. Silly management. 
We love our friends.
Following our respite we met up with Shawn's parents in San Diego! We rented a KOA cabin for the week. I had my doubts, but it was perfect! The girls moved into the loft, and Shawn and I moved into bunk beds. Given our tiny RV bed is sitting on a piece of plywood over a storage hold and I all but roll down the hill that his weight has created on his side, we weren't complaining. We high-fived over bunk beds.

We made such awesome memories in that little cabin. I felt we all bonded and got to know one another in a way that we never would have save for this trip, like Papa had never had a S'MORE! We fixed this in a hurry. We also learned competition runs fierce in this family! Card games got intense. Do you see the Clemson game in the background? Still playing cards. I love that the girls will have these memories!
Our San Diego adventures kicked off with a birthday! Our baby girl turned 7! We headed out to the San Diego Zoo to celebrate! A close friend got us a behind the scenes tour of the zoo for R's birthday. We had a private golf cart tour of the zoo. Haven't you always wondered who those people were? For this one day, it was us! We went behind the scenes to feed giraffes and okapis and even walked the elephant care catwalk. It was an incredible day of celebrity status ending in an Oreo ice cream cake for R! 
Seven years old today!
Our private tour! 
That tongue!
Her pick!
Day two we explored Cabrillo National Monument. We learned about Spanish exploration of the west, explored a lighthouse, and hiked the gorgeous cliffs. It was a beautiful day. 
Day three we headed to the San Diego Safari Park, our gift from our neighbors. I cannot say enough about this place. The grounds are gorgeous. It is on the level of Disney's Animal Kingdom, but the research and conservation efforts done here are remarkable. We learned so much and enjoyed every moment of our day. 
Every exhibit was top notch here!
The Safari Tour rocked!
Our highlight was watching a cheetah run. 
Day four we had a bit of rain, but we found refuge in the San Diego Automotive Museum in Balboa Park. There were so many museums to choose from but we knew Papa would love this one! Turns out we all love vintage cars! Despite the overcast weather, Balboa Park was beautiful. Built in the early 1900's to host the California Exposition the buildings were quite impressive!
Day five we toured the beaches and cute downtown of Coronado and snuck into the Hotel del Coronado. We lunched in Seaport Village, the most adorable little shopping area, and finished our day strolling the Gas Lamp District of downtown San Diego. 
Day six we had a bit more rain so we went to the Fleet Science Center. It is small, but the entire thing is hands on which kept the kids and adults completely engaged. I was excited to see the National Park IMAX movie there. I had been wanting to see it and it was worth it! I cried through the whole thing! I watched my children's expressions as they kept turning to each other with expressions of recognition "We've been there!" The enormity of what we'd done for our kids in showing them this beauty mixed with the enormity of the screen and the perfect music to accompany the powerful images, well it did me in. My sweet husband got me and just held my hand. We ended the day in historic, quaint Old Town. We had two Mexican dinners in San Diego filled with the most amazing food, margaritas, and laughter! 



I must confess, while we truly miss doing daily life with our families, these trips have brought us closer together and created memories to last a lifetime. We've gotten to know each other even better during these trips. I am so grateful for these precious moments we've had together. 

Comments